Sunday, March 15, 2009

Inspiration in the Simple Things

When most people travel, there are lots of pictures of themselves and their friends/family standing in front of something. My travel photos are full of things that catch my eye, make me laugh or that I think may inspire my work in the future. Take a look at some of these photos that I have taken over the last year or two.


This is the brick work on the sidewalks of Palm Springs. I love tile and working tile into patterns so this immediately caught my eye. Plus it is a detail that seems to be lacking from so many of our metropolitan areas.


This photo comes from a walk to the beach in Carmel. I took pictures of the house on the way down to the beach because as a composition, I loved it. On the way back to town, I stopped at the house again and marveled at the details. I didn't realize that it was the same house until my husband laughingly pointed it out to me.



I loved the iron leaves that serve as brackets for the pierced wood panels. Since Houston has several sources of wood panels this one really appealed to me.


One of my favorite photos was from a visit to NYC a couple of years ago during New Years. I loved this pavilion just at dusk. There is just a calmness to this scene to me. There are still rhythm and repetition, but it is simple and it calls to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment